During an academic year, the FLAS provide a $5,000 living stipend plus tuition and covers mandatory fees up to $10,000.
This program provides academic year fellowships to undergraduate and graduate students in foreign language and area or international studies. The goals of the fellowship programs include:
Develop knowledge, resources, and training for modern foreign language and area/international studies
Attain foreign language acquisition and fluency•train international experts to meet nationwide needs
To be eligible for a FLAS Fellowship, applicants must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Be a degree-seeking student in good standing at Arizona State University or have been accepted for admission to ASU.
- Be eligible to receive an Arizona State University tuition scholarship.
- Submit their FAFSA for the 2019–2020 academic year and provide a copy of their Financial Aid Award Letter.
- Be prepared to enroll in the intermediate level or above for both the fall and spring semesters. (For graduate students already proficient in one Asian language, some exceptions apply.)
- Be prepared to enroll in at least one area studies course (at least 50% Asia focus) for both the fall and spring semesters.
- Show high academic achievement and demonstrate a long-term interest in Asia.