The School of International Letters and Cultures is currently seeking an Accounting Specialist to provide support of daily business and financial operations under the supervision of the Business Operations Manager.
Performs a wide range of detailed, complex accounting transactions pertaining to state, local, and foundation accounts. Executes day-to day operations utilizing generally accepted accounting principles, policies and objectives. Provides support to the Business Operations Manager regarding accounts payable, travel, reports, scheduling, answering phones, and other clerical tasks as needed.
Candidate must have strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to adapt to changes and prioritize appropriately. Possesses working knowledge of policies, practices, procedures and terminology of business and finance. Skill in the operation of computers, peripherals, software applications, and advanced calculators.
Job Family: Finance & Accounting
Department Name: SILC
VP Code: EXEC VP/PROVOST
Scope of Search: Open
Grant Funded Position: This is not a grant-funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
Salary Range: $36,400 - $40,000 per year; DOE
Close Date: 14-October-2021 - EXTENDED
- Responsible for accounts payable, performs routine accounting and other financial functions relating to state, local and foundation accounts.
- As backup to the Financial Academic Specialist, assists with obtaining proper documentation for the processing and monitoring of purchases and reimbursements using the appropriate methods in ASU Workday.
- Serves as the main point of contact with faculty for travel needs utilizing the ASU Concur Travel System.
- Performs account reconciliations and monthly expenditure analyses via spreadsheet reports.
- Interprets ASU and SILC policies/procedures and assist with internal and external audits by responding to requests for presentation of supporting files and documents by external and/or internal audit staff.
- Creates routine and special reports using on-line tools such as Workday, Dashboards, and Concur, spreadsheets, databases, PowerPoint and other applications, as needed.
- Assists in updating Policy and Procedures Manual, inventory database, records retention schedules and other reference materials.
- Maintains department records (hardcopy and electronic), files, and inventory functions to ensure compliance with all requirements and policies.
- Assists with facilities management including but not limited to: office moves and maintain space surveys.
- Assists with conference/event planning.
- Gathers, reviews, enters travel requests and claims reports for the unit. Provides information to Director, Business Operations Manager, Academic Financial Specialists, faculty, graduate students in preparation of travel requests and claim reports.
- Utilizes travel dashboard to monitor status of claims and follow up with traveler as needed.
- Interprets ASU Travel Policy and disseminate information as appropriate.
- Responds to customer inquiries via e-mail and phone.
- Performs random post audits on expenses reports processed through online travel system.
- Assists in training ASU community on how to use online travel system.
- Performs data entry.
- On occasion, provide support for events and may be asked to attend after hours regular business hours.
Associate's degree in Business Administration or related field AND one (1) year of related experience; OR,Three (3) years related accounting experience; OR,Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience working in Higher Education.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of accounts payable, accounting, and budgeting principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge with ASU financial systems (e.g., Workday, Concur, PeopleSoft).
- Experience using software applications ( i.e., Excel, Word, and Outlook).
- Experience in analytical skills and ability to work independently.
- Experience preparing electronic reports, utilizing charts, tables, formulas, etc.
- Experience working with faculty, students, and other employees in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in performing detailed and complex numerical computations and reports, including analysis and evaluation of budgets, planning and other management information systems.
- Activities to be performed are in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of
- sitting and data entry.
- On occasion, standing for varying lengths of time and walking moderate distances to perform work are required.
- Must be able to adapt and change priorities as well as clearly communicate verbally and in writing to perform essential functions.
The School of International Letters & Cultures is the primary home for the study of international languages and cultures at ASU. The undergraduate program offers 28 undergraduate degrees and 12 graduate degrees and has approximately 600 majors and 70 graduate students. In addition, the School offers 15 summer study abroad programs. The School assists approximately 8,000 university students each semester and also offers a CALL and Translation Certificate programs for credit and Bilingual Monthly Certification for teachers in the valley region. The School has a teaching and research staff of approximately 200 faculty, lecturers, instructors, faculty associates, and graduate teaching assistants.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
- Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
- Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
- Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
- ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews unless otherwise indicated.
- Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.